QUALITY OF LIFE
The Rockford region’s positive business environment is matched by the great quality-of-life it provides to residents and visitors! Rockford is historically Illinois’ second largest city, and as such enjoys an outstanding quality-of-life. Businesses operating in Rockford and their employees enjoy tremendous advantages.
1) Close proximity to Chicago, Milwaukee and Madison’s Cultural, Ethnic, Recreational, Educational and Athletic attractions/assets. Residents enjoy daytrips as well as weekend get-a-ways to the windy city with great regularity.
2) Rockford’s own Cultural, Ethnic, Recreational, Educational and Athletic attractions/assets. Two examples of Rockford enhanced QOL attributes are as follows: Rockford is currently hosting Sweden’s famed Valien artists, and beginning with the 2007-2008 season, the Chicago Blackhawks (National Hockey League) will have their “AAA” farm club team in Rockford.
3) The Chicago-Rockford-Milwaukee region’s Air Transportation Network.
4) Low cost housing, the Rockford area is typically ranked #10 most affordable MSA in America
5) Excellent Schools; several area school districts are considered to be in the top 10 academically performing districts in the State of Illinois, public and private
6) Safe and friendly neighborhoods and rural hamlets
7) The region is void of natural disaster risks so prevalent in coastal states and along major water ways, and enjoys a mild climate.
The Rockford Metro Area's population has grown steady since 2000, and is the fastest growing metro market in the state of Illinois. The median home cost in the Rockford Metro Area is about $120,870. The market is one of the most affordable housing markets in the entire Midwest, and much less expensive than its contiguous metro market of Chicago. The average commute time for area residents is less than 20 minutes.
Compared to the rest of the country, the Rockford Metro Area's cost of living is typically about 15% Lower than the U.S. average. The lower living expenses coupled with access to amenities of Rockford, Chicago, Milwaukee and Madison give the Rockford area residents a superior Quality of Life and Standard of Living.
Rockford's greatest strength is tied to its proximity to Chicago. It is close enough to its amenities to use them, but not so much that it is drawn into Chicago's congestion and costs. Where other than Rockford, Illinois can you get locally-grown crops at a morning farmers’ market, zip down a body waterslide in the afternoon, and see an evening American Hockey League game all in one day?... Nowhere! Now known as a “City of Gardens”, Rockford balances big city sophistication with hometown appeal. Plentiful attractions, historical sites, restaurants, events and activities make Rockford a novel place to meet, work, live, and play.
Our Top Ten
- Groove Walk: hoofing around downtown brings you to a diverse lineup of bands at various venues.
- Norweigan Fold Dancers and Fika at Midsommarfest in Mid-June, presented by the Swedish Historical Society
- Humulus Lupulus and other tasty potions at Carlyle Brewing Company
- Severson Dells’ scenic hiking trails and bird watching.
- Broadway at the Coronado, presenting exciting one-off theatre productions at the number one 1920’s atmospheric venue.
- 3rd Floor Party Deck at Icehogs games.
- XRKADE, where participants become “human joysticks” at the Gymnastics Academy of Rockford.
- Original art exhibits all over town in both spring and fall ArtScenes.
- Anderson Gardens: Voted #1 JapaneseGarden in North America by the Roth Journal.
- 37 Golf courses, including the #1 rated public golf course in the State of Illinois, always mentioned in Golf Digest
There’s always something to do in Rockford, Illinois. These are just a few of our many cultural highlights.
- Illinois’ largest indoor water park, CoCo Key Water Resort and Magic Waters outdoor water park allow kids of all ages a chance to splish n’ splash year-round.
- Davis Park at Founders Landing hosts American Red Cross’ Rock’n for the Red all day music festival, Stars & Guitars RibFest, and many other concerts, festivals and recreational events.
- MetroCentre is home to American Hockey League's Rockford IceHogs, Continental Indoor Football's Rock River Raptors , and the newly formed National Indoor Soccer League’s Rockford Rampage, and a plethora of additional world class entertainment.
- Kryptonite night club, Big Cities Lounge, and Big Al’s inside Giovanni’s Restaurant are only a few of Rockford’s many venues where live music can always be enjoyed.
- Burpee Museum of Natural History has one of the Top Ten finds in the history of paleontology. Jane, “Rockford’s Celebrity Dinosaur,” is the most complete juvenile T.Rex in the world.
- Discovery Center Museum ranks as the fourth best children’s museum in the United States. It has the first community-built, outdoor science park in the nation.
- Klehm Arboretum & Botanic Gardens has the best conifer collection in North America, and is the second largest among the comparably-sized cities.
- Over 120 years old, Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center is the oldest continuing music organization in the nation, presenting opera, touring international musicians, self-producing performances and training music students.
- Through programs like Music Academy, Totally Arts, DanceReach and more, Rockford’s youth is easily engaged in the visual and performing arts.
- Rock Valley College’s Starlight Theater is a new world-class summer facility about which the Chicago Tribune writes “…is a powerful, almost otherworldly sculptural presence.”
- Rockford Art Museum features exhibits, events, programs, lectures, fundraisers and unique merchandise at its RAM Store. The museum has amused art-lovers for over 60 years with its two-day juried Greenwich Village Art Fair.
- Rockford has a full range of historical facilities, from Midway Village & Museum Center to Tinker Swiss Cottage, one of the few house museums in the nation with its original furnishings intact, and one of only two-dozen remaining Swiss-style homes in America.
- Rockford’s wide range of choral performances offers stellar opportunities for audiences and performers alike, including award-winning KANTOREI Singing Boys of Rockford, the Lyric Opera of Chicago – Rockford Chapter, Rockford College Vocal Collective, and Bach Chamber Choir.
- Coronado Theatre’s $18.5 million restoration is the most extensive among all 17 cities, and the recipient of numerous prestigious national awards; the Coronado is the performance residents for Rockford Dance Company, Land of Lincoln Theatre Organ Society, Rockford Coronado Concert Association, and Rockford Symphony Orchestra.
QUALITY OF LIFE LINKS